Vista User Account Control prompts

gratefuluser

Vista User Account Control prompts

Postby gratefuluser » 24 Dec 2009, 17:36

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for this amazing program - it is almost too good to be true! :shock:

I only have a small problem with it, or rather with Vista and it, perhaps you can help me:

Every time I start QMC I get a UAC security promt, and the icons of both QMC and the unistaller have the UAC shield on it. Also, it won't let me place the program in quicklaunch, and QMC does not appear in the list of programs in control panel>programs>programs and features.

I have installed other downloaded freeware and had not had this before. I have tried reinstalling QMC but I always get the same.

I have Vista Home Premium service pack 2 and QMC 4.0.0.0

QMC is installed in the default folder in C:>Program Files

This is more an annoyance than a problem because the program works well, but I'd appreciate your help anyway!

Thanks.
Cocoon-Dev
Site Admin

Re: Vista User Account Control prompts

Postby Cocoon-Dev » 25 Dec 2009, 10:49

Hello and welcome ,

We are currently working on solving some security issues on Vista and we have made available a few modified beta versions to solve these issues , here is the link to the latest QMC (version 4.0.0.5) be carefyul as this is a limited time beta version only for testing valid only one month and should normally solve your problem.

Version 365 and 357 are discontinued regardless of above as it is too complicated for us to support multiple versions since the whole team is only two of us .

Please try above version 4.0.0.5 and let us know if it works, thus bringing your own brick to the building while participating to its improvement in the free software spirit .

Do not distribute this link as it is only temporary and as we will soon release final version as we are convinced it will solve most issues that unfortunately came with 4.0.0.0 and for which we apolagize .

Just for further information , there is a network version of 4.0.0.0 check out on our mainpage left ( the one with msi) there will also be a portable version very soon .

Have a great day
thx for donating
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/paypaldonate-us.htm
Team Cocoon
gratefuluser

Postby gratefuluser » 25 Dec 2009, 12:02

Many thanks for your reply. Just one quick question: Should I uninstall 4.0.0.0 before installing this beta version or is it alright to install it alongside it? To keep the other as backup...

Again many thanks and Happy Christmas and New year! (or Joyex Noel et bonne anne 2010!)
gratefuluser

Postby gratefuluser » 26 Dec 2009, 15:10

Hi,

I went ahead and tried 4.0.0.5 after first unistalling 4.0.0.0. Here is how it went in case it is useful for you:

When I ran the installer the program installed without problems and opened up, but then I got a Program Compatibility Assistant prompt (see qmc_1.jpeg). I pressed cancel and I then got a prompt about the ffmpeg.exe (see qmc_2.jpeg). The program still ran fine despite this and I could use it to convert AVI into MOV (which is what I need it for at the moment).

The QMC shortcut appeared now without the UAC shield, although it still did not appear in quicklaunch or in the "control panel>programs>programs" and features list. I was now able to open the program without getting a UAC prompt every time.

The unistaller still had a UAC shield on it, and it does appear in the "control panel>programs>programs and features" list with the name "Player" (which is a bit confusing).

I unistalled the program and re-installed it. This time when the Program Compatibility Assistant prompt appeared I clicked "reinstall using recommended settings". The program began reinstalling and I got the prompt in qmc_3.jpeg. I clicked "yes to all". The program opened at the end of installation and froze. I ended task and reopened it. It worked fine and now it is present in the quicklaunch, and does not have the UAC shield either. It still does not show up in the "programs and features" list, the only thing there is the unistaller under the name of "Player" with the UAC shield still on it.

I haven't tested it beyond converting AVI to MOV, which it does well (and so quickly!!). The only other feature I tried is the webcam function: both the take a snapshot and make a video work well except that I can't see anything in the preview window - it shows as solid black as though there was no camera, but if I shoot something "blind" and save it then the saved image or movie are fine. This was using my Toshiba P300 built-in webcam. It has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650.

I'll keep you updated as I continue using QMC. Thanks again for this brilliant program!
Attachments
qmc_3.jpg
qmc_3.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
qmc_2.jpg
qmc_2.jpg (126.04 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
qmc_1.jpg
qmc_1.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
Cocoon-Dev
Site Admin

Postby Cocoon-Dev » 27 Dec 2009, 13:49

Hello,
thank you for your feedback.

the problem in the uninstaller is now corrected and you must find in the panel control in the menu "programs and features" from Vista QuickMediaConverter.
Now for your black box in the player, please install K-lite Codec Pack and after you can view all's videos :D .
Look also the DEP protection from vista is not activated.
If is activated, you must authorize ffmpeg in the DEP .

Have a nice day.
thx for donating
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/paypaldonate-us.htm
Team Cocoon

Return to “VISTA & XP Common issues + Tips and tricks”