Latest Installer Not Working

Anything that is related to questions and answers about the registration of Quick Media Converter
AcidicChip

Latest Installer Not Working

Postby AcidicChip » 02 Mar 2008, 22:15

I just got a Helio Ocean, and am on a hunt for a good converter with the features I'm looking for, and I think QMC may be it, however, I can not get it to install.

I download INSTALL.zip and run Install.EXE ... Install.EXE then runs and an extraction dialog appears, then is followed by something breifly appearing and disappearing from my task bar, and that's all that happens. Nothing from there, and I see no shortcuts or new files in Program Files.

I decided to look into this further and monitored processes executed from Install.EXE (hoping to locate what is extracted and run them manually). I then discovered that Install.EXE then runs WDSetup.EXE, then WDCLEAN.EXE runs, followed by DEL##.tmp . With that, I'm assuming (By the process naming convention) that the files are immediately cleaned after extraction, not allowing me to run them manually.

This is a clean Windows XP Professional install (2 weeks old), and I do have other applications installed such as QuickTime, DiVX, DVDFab, SUPER, and others, which all seem to work fine,just do not have the exact feature sets I need (Although SUPER is pretty close).

Please let me know any http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/paypaldonate-us.htm you may have to offer. I have searched the forums, finding only 1 other thread relating to this issue, and I have checked and verified the possible solution posted, with the same outcome.

Thanks in advance for your time, and support.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 02 Mar 2008, 23:24

Hello,
Welcome to our forum and thank you for your participation.

1)Did you get your install.zip* file from download.com ? If it is the case the file is outdated and not working, we are working on a final build to place there.

2) Do you have install rights on your computer ?
if you do not have these files Image in your Quick Media Directory that means that something is preventing you from installing our Application . Most likely administrative rights.
In such event you should ask your system admin to solve the problem.

*First it would be better to get our
Install.zipfile and let the updates run 3 of them

Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

Have a good day.
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/paypaldonate-us.htm
AcidicChip

Postby AcidicChip » 03 Mar 2008, 00:44

Team Cocoon,

The instructions you just mentioned are the same instructions I saw you post on the thread I mentioned that I found in my first post, and I have the same results. I also downloaded the Install.zip from your site (and in the previous post I found), as well as the one in your current reply, and the same thing happens.

The installer does not seem to install at all, as I said, nothing new (Especially not "QuickMediaConverter") is in my C:\Program Files\ directory.

As I said, once the extraction process is finished, I see an item in my task bar appear and disappear, I'm assuming that's the installation dialog to do/continue my installation process, but nothing else happens once the extraction dialog disappears.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 03 Mar 2008, 01:55

Hello again

Sorry about the mistake , I must be tired :(

Ok from what I have seen in your explaination you run Super ...

Super is also based on ffmpeg
So if super works on you computer QMC should also work unless there is a conflict between the two , but we would know by now...

When you downloaded the zip did you first extract it or did you launch it from the zip file ?

After installing you should still get a couple of patches more to complete the install .

I think the complete updated zip will be online sometimes tomorrow evening European time perhaps that would make a difference.

A few hours back, I had a discussion with the developper, he told me it was safer to first extract the zip on the desk and to click on the extracted Install.exe file on the desk rather than from the zip file...

Neverthelesss I will tell him to visit this thread and check with you to hopefuly solve that issue :)

Have a nice evening.
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
AcidicChip

Postby AcidicChip » 03 Mar 2008, 02:03

Team Cocoon,

Please excuse my frustrations, but it seems I can not get you to understand what is happening, so let me try again...

I download Install.zip from your site and I extract it.
I run Install.EXE
It shows some files extracting and it closes

The files that are extracted when running Install.exe are the REAL setup files, which are never being ran, or are closing/crashing as soon as they are ran (or something else of that nature must be occuring)

There is no actual installation happening, because there is an issue with the installer itself (NOT with QMC, as I can't even get it installed yet)
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 03 Mar 2008, 02:38

Hello again ,

Sorry about all that confusion ..

Yes indeed we understood you, and we understand your frustration and thank you for your patience.

In the previous post I was just asking you if you intalled from exe on the desk to eliminate other possible installing mistakes in other words I filter down possibilities so we get a clear picture.

As for the rest of the problem during your installation nothing happening and disappearing icones and nothing in the folder I got the point .

"There is no actual installation happening, because there is an issue with the installer itself"

I also meant to say that I have transfered to the developper that matter, he will be looking at it tomorrow and will come here to discuss it directly with you, since I personally (as you may have noticed) have no clue .

Unfortunately It is 2.27 Am here and he is in bed :P

But we will definitely do something to help you out tomorrow .

Have a nice evening .
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
AcidicChip

Postby AcidicChip » 03 Mar 2008, 03:16

Team Cocoon,

Okay, thank you again for your time and support. I've tried trouble shooting this as thoroughly as possible, even put a process monitor to find out what processes were being ran, etc, but was unable to find a solution.

I went ahead and downloaded the Camtasia trial and made a recording of me redownloading and trying to install QMC, so you can see what I am doing, etc.

http://www.acidicchip.com/files/QMC.avi

I also go into showing my administrative rights, clearing the cache, etc.

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks again.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 03 Mar 2008, 14:25

Hello Acidichip

Thank you for your info and for the video I just had a look at it and you are right it is really strange .. So I uninstalled mine and did a video with camstudio for your apreciation , I run Xp home sp2 on this computer...

here is the video : Install qmc. That is how the installation proces should look like if everything is ok ..

To make sure just before I downloaded from the website the latest version as well and extracted the Install.exe file on my desk .

The temp file on the desk is camstudio recording...

In your case obviousely something is wrong and I already discussed with Gilles he will take a look at it when he comes back from work.

Hopefully we will find the reason ...

We will inform you through the forum..

Thank you again for your time and help ...

Have a nice day.
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
Cocoon-Dev
Site Admin

Prob Install

Postby Cocoon-Dev » 03 Mar 2008, 21:54

Hellol

Try to extract the zip install file on your desktop and launch the exe file from the desktop as well.

I think the problem comes from the name of your folder "!temp!" or because the file is in shared folder but try in first to extract on your desktop or a folder with a conventional name without any special caracters !

Have you also tried also to deactivate your Anti virus ?

What is Transcoder360 in your processes (for xbox?) could it be a source of conflict ?

It seems you are you using Windows media center right ?

Thanks
Good day

Gilles
thx for donating
Team Cocoon
AcidicChip

Postby AcidicChip » 06 Mar 2008, 18:15

I extracted it directly to my desktop this time, and ran it again, same result...

Disabling my antivirus doesn't fix the issue either.

Yes, it's windows MCE 2005, and I don't think Transcode 360 would affect the installer... maybe the application, but not the installer.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 06 Mar 2008, 22:05

AcidicChip wrote:I extracted it directly to my desktop this time, and ran it again, same result...

Disabling my antivirus doesn't fix the issue either.

Yes, it's windows MCE 2005, and I don't think Transcode 360 would affect the installer... maybe the application, but not the installer.

We have not yet tested the install with media center so this could be an issue we hope to find someone who will do the test with also to compare ..

We suspect that for some reason media center is blocking your QMC install but we don't know yet why ...

For transcode360 you are right , probably if you run it at the same time you are converting with QMC it could (we are not sure either) affect the QMC application since we read it is also using ffmpeg open source and its codec library.

In our case anyway we should first try to get your application working :)

Do you know anybody around you who also has media center ? or do you have another pc to try QMC ...

Have a good evening .
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
AcidicChip

Postby AcidicChip » 07 Mar 2008, 05:25

No, I don't... I can however install MCE on a VM, and test the results on there, but I'll get to that tomorrow, it's pretty late here. I'll post my findings afterwards.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 07 Mar 2008, 11:37

Hello AcidicChip

Thanks again for your collaboration and patience .

We have now another user facing similar problems on the Forum is seems : Media Center Bug Report NOt much else to say as of now we are still investigating and trying to find a machine with XP media center to see why this is not installing properly.

Have a good day
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
rwmol2

Re: Latest Installer Not Working

Postby rwmol2 » 07 Jul 2008, 18:56

I have this exact same issue. How come this thread stopped without a conclusion? The author stopped his posts. Maybe he just gave up or the answer my be posted elsewhere in the forum.

I would like to try this app but am unable to install it. Can we continue to research this issue?

Thanks
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 07 Jul 2008, 19:41

Hello and welcome ,

yes of course we are always glad to see our users getting actively involved in the resolution process as it helps providing a better product to all .

The main queston when install does not work is first

1)Do you have admin rights on your computer.

2)If yes to 1, we then proceed with what version did you download 3.5.7 or others ?

for information , as other versions were in beta we stopped them, but they are still available on certain sites or blogs that keep on providing versions such as 2.9 and despite our numerous mails and messages to them , they don't seem to react.

3) Always intersting to know if some conflict is not the cause , for instance you may have a tv card or windows media center or windows live picture program installed (know conflicts) or many other possible causes such as using other converters running wih the same open source code (ffmpeg).

So thanks for your collaboration and lets start from that point as as you mentionned we have no more news from acidicchip

Have a good day
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
rwmol2

Postby rwmol2 » 07 Jul 2008, 20:40

Thanks.

Answers:

1. I am the Administrator

2. The version I downloaded is 3.5.7 (I haven't tried any other versions). I downloaded this version from
three different sites and got the same results.

3. I do have an ATI TV Card installed. No Windows Media Center or Windows Live. I have also uninstalled
all my other convertors. Ffmpeg is presently not shown in my Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks for your quick response.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 07 Jul 2008, 21:15

Hello and welcome back ,

Would it be possible to verify the following ,

1) Deactivate your TV card
and try install again .

We have noticed in the past ( the french section) that some installation problems did come from Tv cards.
we have not yet found the reason why as of now ...

Thank you for letting us know the outcome.
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
rwmol2

Postby rwmol2 » 07 Jul 2008, 21:43

I shut the computer down. Removed the card and rebooted. Your software still won't install.

Is WinDev the only installer you use?

Thanks
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 08 Jul 2008, 00:20

Hello again ,

I just finished discussing with Gilles (Developper) he is asking me to see if you have a windows xp embedded ?
could you please describe to us precisely step by step what happened during the install procedure , did it just crash immediately (and or when ?) or did you have some windows appearing for language selection etc ...
what happened to your pc did you get an error message and if yes which one ?
You may probably not now but in some cases it has been reported that the application may take more than a minute to launch... We are working on a patch.

just in case (not always neccessary) he is also http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/paypaldonate-us.htm to deactivate anti virus during the install (if not done already )...

If you are not sure you can download it too on tucows.com or on download.com all software there are checked and clean ( so is ours here ) but we would understand if you did do it from there. Caution is always a good attitude to have.

(Windev is for now the only possible installer).

Looking forward to your news.
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
rwmol2

Postby rwmol2 » 08 Jul 2008, 05:55

Thanks for the follow up.

I don't use and never used XPe.

Here's a discription of the events:

I downloaded the .zip file from Tucows, Download.com, VideoHelp and direct from your web site. The installation failure is the same no mater where it came from.

After unzipping the file and double clicking on the Install.exe, a small progress bar opens titled "Install.exe".
Very briefly I see displayed "_WDINST". Then in the flash of a second I see "INSTALL" and I believe "CLEAN". Then the progress bar closes. The mouse pointer turns into an hour glass for about two seconds, then quits.
That's it.

There is no error message.

I disable my antivirus, firewall and Windows Defender. No change.

This isn't much but hopefully it will help you to identify the problem.
rwmol2

Postby rwmol2 » 09 Jul 2008, 16:33

Is there any updates on this issue?
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 09 Jul 2008, 16:35

Hello ,

Not yet I will discuss the matter a bit later with Gilles and keep you informed. He will take a look at this post
and try to figure out what is happening..

Have you tried to install on another PC ?

Have a nice day
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
rwmol2

Postby rwmol2 » 09 Jul 2008, 19:45

Thanks

No, I have only one computer. Most are able to install this software but a few of us have the same problem.

I do appreciate your personal support. I'll await you upcoming posts.

Randy
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 10 Jul 2008, 00:49

Hello again Randy ,

Thanks for your patience ,

While Gilles is studying what could be wrong , I decided to make a video of what your install should look like if everything went fine :

Video : Install QMC 3.5.7

Talk to you later .
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 10 Jul 2008, 00:49

Hello again Randy ,

Thanks for your patience ,

While Gilles is studying what could be wrong , I decided to make a video of what your install should look like if everything went fine :

Video : Install QMC 3.5.7

Talk to you later .
Team Cocoon
thx for donating

Return to “Registration and Installation Issues”