What I don't like about this software

rocklobster

What I don't like about this software

Postby rocklobster » 10 Feb 2010, 02:48

Firstly before I make my comments I would like to thank you all for making this quick media converter frontend for ffmpeg and releasing it free of charge it is a very useful and worthy utility, but I would also like to let you know what I do like and what I don't like about this software in case you are interested in making modifications based on user feedback.
Firstly The GUI is amaturish and not very intuitive, the language button does not need to be there people dont switch between languages when using software, the language choice should be in the initial install options.
There should be a built in help file accessable from the help menu
The easy mode buttons are great
The expert mode is not very well implemented. The buttons from the easy mode should remain visible and available in expert mode so the user can select one and read the settings and modify them if neccessary while in expert mode.
The entry boxes in expert mode are not very well desrcibed, No tool tips either. I had to use trial and error to discover the results of some of them for instance why have an aspect ratio box and a video size box ? If you know the video size is 640x480 then obviously the aspect ratio is going to be 3x4 I dont see why the user should have to enter both unless the size box is just to add meta to the file for the openeing application to use as a initial window size ? If this is the case it should say so in a tool tip.
Expert mode allows settings to be entered which are obviously not going to work together and the result is an attempt to encode useing those settings then eventually an error messsage appears. As the user enters settings, other settings options should be greyed out in thier drop down menu's if they are not going to work with settings already entered.
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Re: What I don't like about this software

Postby Team Cocoon » 11 Feb 2010, 02:09

Hello and welcome ,
All critics are good to take particularly when they are constructive such as yours and for which we thank you for taking the time and submit your view to us.

Let me try to reply in chronology to your numerous points:

The GUI is amaturish

We perfectly agree about this point and as a matter of fact we have been looking for months for talented GUI designer volunteers to help us with this problem. However due precisely to the fact that we are free and have not enough income we cannot pay some professionals to do so at this stage .

not very intuitive

Unfortunately on this point the point of view of most users seems to disagree with you ... However we have come to some conclusions that we could set up some sort of wizard to make it even simpler . Some folders are confusing and we are aware of that , some icones are not very explicit but that relates to point above .

language choice should be in the initial install options

If you looked carefully during your install , you will probably have noticed that indeed we offer the choice of language at that stage . Now a lot of people overview this point and realize too late that they chose the wrong language that is why we have placed the languages in the main menu and visible to all.

built in help file accessable from the help menu

The help is located on the top menu and points to video tutorials far more explicit than text . We are only two for this whole project so time is limited for each one of us.

expert mode is not very well implemented

We have tried to place in the expert mode what expert users would generally like , also it allows full access and use of the ffmpeg command line code and a variety of preset profiles . If we find a designer we will ask him to work on some nice buttons for the expert mode as well.

I follow up in next post.
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/paypaldonate-us.htm
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 11 Feb 2010, 02:21

Follow up

buttons from the easy mode should remain visible and available in expert mode

Have you noticed that in easy mode in a lot of submenus you have expert mode ? if you click on expert mode it will start it with presets allready filled ? for instance if you take flv and go all the way down to expert mode submenu and choose 16/9 or 4/3 you will automatically reach expert mode prefilled , it is then up to the expert to change the settings he wishes...

ratio is going to be 3x4
I would rather say 4/3 and also you can click on the green arrows to get those choices of aspect and size presets Image for both pc and tv .

Expert mode allows settings to be entered which are obviously not going to work together

This is precisely why it is called expert mode .

I hope this clarifies a bit your preoccupations , we hope we will find someone to collaborate with us on the skinning aspect though. And in the future we will look more into expert mode as more and more users are becoming familiar with video and audio conversions.

Have a nice day
Team Cocoon
thx for donating
Team Cocoon
Site Admin

Postby Team Cocoon » 15 Sep 2010, 12:46

Hello ,

You are entiltled to your opinion but not to spam our board by repeating so many times the software that is so fast and so nice to you .

Now before discussing any quickness proper things need to be compared . ie size of image bitrate etc ... Nowhere do I see such comparison with a serious benchmark ? where have they gone?

ALso reminding that this software you use is also using ffmpeg so speed has nothing relevant in your example as we use the same open source code to write the command lines .

Stick with it if you want but do not come here and brag about something you clearly do not handle as well as you claim you do.
We are also very glad you strangely enough did like something in QMC ..
Have a nice day
Team Cocoon
thx for donating

Return to “Opinions and Comments”